St. Barths Online

[Dec 16, 2006] Truth or Fiction?

TRUTH OR FICTION? There has been a big brouhaha in the American press and on the Internet lately over an article written by Alan Richman in GQ magazine in which he wrote something along the lines of there is no such thing as a real Creole person in New Orleans (he likened them to an imaginary ...

[Nov 22, 2006] Inaugurations and cocktail parties

Inaugurations and cocktail parties Every year, the early days of November herald a busy schedule of boutique and restaurant openings. The first to celebrate this year, on Friday, October 27, was the Diamant, a new French-Creole restaurant near the pond in St Jean Carénage. The next day, Eddy’s...

[Nov 22, 2006] French Senate Adopts New Political Status For Saint Barth

French Senate Adopts New Political Status For Saint Barth A historic step was taken on October 31 when French senators voted for the project calling for a political evolution of Saint Barth into an Overseas Collectivity, and adopted the legal text with 354 amendments. Among these is the creatio...

[Nov 22, 2006] Dimitri Ouvré, European surfing vice-champion

Dimitri Ouvré, European surfing vice-champion St-Barth is primarily known as a tourist attraction, but over the past several years the island has also been associated with some talented young champions in various sports. These include 17-year old tennis player Grégory Gumbs, one of the best ...

[Nov 1, 2006] Nightmare in Sint Maarten

Nightmare in Sint Maarten Welcome to the Friendly Island! What a joke! Sint Maarten has become the largest nightmare in the Caribbean now that the new airport has opened. The wheels of progress may be turning but in this case they need a lube job. Everyone I know that flew in this week, includ...

[Oct 15, 2006] Summer Road Work

Summer Road Work It’s an annual event: the municipality takes advantage of the relative calm of the summer months to get major roadwork done. At the entrance to Gustavia, a portion of the road between Le Select and the pharmacy has been closed to traffic for the better part of three months as w...

[Oct 15, 2006] PAF Office at Espace Gambier

PAF Office at Espace Gambier Since last spring, the municipality has made a small space in the cruise ship and ferry passenger terminal available for use by the PAF (Air and Frontier Police). As at the airport, where two agents are on permanent duty to control arriving passengers, the identity o...

[Oct 15, 2006] State Police Move to Fort Oscar

State Police Move to Fort Oscar As of November 1, the State Police brigade will be located at Fort Oscar, a military installation overlooking the Port of Gustavia. Owned by the French Ministry of Defense, the site had been used (since the late 1970s) as a listening station for the DGSE (General...

[Oct 1, 2006] Having your cake

Having your cake If you have ever been to a local wedding in Saint Barth, you will have noticed that there is not just one wedding cake, but multiple wedding cakes. In fact, sometimes there are one or two tables full of them, beautiful cakes in various shapes and sizes, ranging from small h...

[Sep 1, 2006] If the shoe fits

If The Shoe Fits ... I recently read an article in the New York Times, which said that flip-flops have become the footwear of choice in Los Angeles. From the beach to the boardroom, and even the red carpet at the Academy Awards, these casual shoes are becoming de rigueur for men as well as wom...

[Aug 20, 2006] Young People and the Com

Young People and the Com Taking advantage of summer vacation and the return of many of the island's students who go to school in France or the United States (or elsewhere) during the academic year, the municipality organized a meeting on Tuesday, August 8. Held in the new conference/reception ro...

[Aug 20, 2006] Cooking Classes by the Sereno Chef

Cooking Classes by the Sereno Chef Jean-Luc Grabowski has been in charge of the kitchen at the Restaurant des Pêcheurs at the Sereno Hotel since last season. His innovative recipes highlight local products and entice clients from the island as well as the hotel itself. On Friday nights the s...

[Aug 1, 2006] If you've got it

If You've Got It You can get a lot of things in Saint Barth, from a 20 million dollar house on the beach to a 20-dollar pair of shoes. But one thing most people don't expect to get is dengue (a mosquito-borne viral disease). But it seems as if global warming is overtaking the planet (think abo...

[Jul 1, 2006] Boubou's Festival

Boubou's Festival The musical event of the summer will without doubt be Boubou's Festival. Following a two-year hiatus, the festival will be held in a new location, but remains faithful to its philosophy of world music concerts, evenings divided into three different programs, and almost 100 mu...

[Jul 1, 2006] Fashion in St-Barth

Fashion in St-Barth Jet setters, models and photographers gathered in Saint Barth from June 8-11 for "Fashion in Saint Barth", with the latest collections by Rosa Cha, R.E.D. Valentino, Jennifer Nicholson, Heatherette, Abaete, and Bogosse, as well as the shoe store, Human Steps in Gustavia, show...

[Jul 1, 2006] Allez les blues!

Allez Les Blues ! Screaming "Allez les Bleus" has been the national pastime in Saint Barth since the World Cup soccer matches started in Germany early last month. It translates to "Let's go Blues," which is something like yelling "Let's go Tigers" at a Princeton football game. American footba...

[Jun 1, 2006] The Theatre Festival

The Theatre Festival From May 5-13, the 5th annual Theatre Festival was the final event on the 2005-2006 cultural calendar. This year's program included two performances by leading actresses from France, Marianne Sergent (photo) and Clémence Massard. Two plays, "Ubu Roi"and "La nuit de Valogn...

[Jun 1, 2006] Visit by Overseas Minister

Visit by Overseas Minister Local officials, who feel both "disappointed" and "betrayed" offered a rather cold welcome to François Baroin upon his arrival in Saint Martin on Monday, May 29. In a speech, Albert Fleming also reproached the Minister for not consulting him on the writing of the tex...

[Jun 1, 2006] True or False?

True or False? The rumor mill is at it again. St Barth seems to be rife for rumors these days, but what else is new? One of the most recent ones that I found amusing is that there will be a "fashion week" in Saint Barth next year. I would guess that if this is true, it would take place sometim...

[May 17, 2006] THE SOCIETE CIVILE IMMOBILIERE ( The Real Estate Holding Corporation)

THE SOCIETE CIVILE IMMOBILIERE ( The Real Estate Holding Corporation) The use of a French Civil corporation called a Sociètè Civile Immobiliere (hereinafter referred to as "SCI") has largely been used by American citizens as a vehicle for the purchase of real estate in an effort to retain a...

[May 16, 2006] Speak to me in french, please

Speak To Me In French, Please A funny thing happened to me in a restaurant last night. It was my first visit to a rather new watering hole on the island, and it came highly recommended by a few friends who had enjoyed their meals there. The place is trendy; there are no two ways about it. And ...

[Apr 1, 2006] Whale Week

Whale Week From April 18-25, the Marine Park in Saint Barth organized an informational week about the underwater environment, and focused on cetaceans. The event included a thorough exhibit about the world of marine mammals, some of which are endangered. The exhibit took place on the ground f...

[Apr 1, 2006] Transat ag2r - Concarneau-St-Barth

Transat ag2r - Concarneau-St-Barth Twenty-eight identical 35’ Figaro Bénéteau sailboats, started out on a transatlantic race on April 9, covering 3,710 miles of competitive sailing. They left from the charming port of Concarneau in Brittany, with two sailors per boat, passing a marker in fr...

[Apr 1, 2006] Caribbean Film Festival

Caribbean Film Festival For the 11th annual St. Barth Film Festival was held from April 25-30 at A.J.O.E. Ellen Lampert-Gréaux, her husband Rosemond, and Joshua Harrison presented a full program of short films and features, including Viva Cuba, the new film by Juan Carlos Cremata and Iraida ...

[Apr 1, 2006] International Book Day

International Book Day There was a non-stop crowd during the first international book day, held on Sunday, April 23 in front of City Hall, and organized by two friends who are also book lovers, Didier Bensa, owner of the Christopher Hotel, and Jean-Pierre Hennequet, owner of the Galerie Asie a...

[Apr 1, 2006] Busy, Busy, Busy

BUSY, BUSY, BUSY Here it is mid-April, okay almost late April, and my readers must be wondering where I've been. Well I'll tell you. I've been busy, busy, busy. My day job took me off island, first to Toronto for the opening of the stage version of The Lord of The Rings, whose cast and crew is...

[Mar 15, 2006] The pharmacy of yesteryear

The pharmacy of yesteryear... Home remedies and the old-fashioned medicines were the order of the day on Sunday, January 29 when the municipal museum and the tourist office joined forces to organize Saint Barth's participation in the 21st annual European Heritage Days event. People of all ages...

[Mar 15, 2006] The Traffic Circle in Saint Barth

The Traffic Circle in Saint Barth A special municipal commission, created with the goal of selecting a sculpture to decorate the traffic circle at the Tourmente (the top of the hill near the airport), considered a total of 55 projects. A seven-member jury made up of four elected official...

[Mar 1, 2006] What a weekend

What a Weekend Randi got married in Saint Barth last weekend. I don't know Randi, but I came over from Saint Martin to Saint Barth on the Voyager last Thursday with some of her wedding guests, including some of the bridesmaids I believe. They were all talking about going to a wedding and sinc...

[Feb 6, 2006] St. Barth Shuttle: New Transport Service

St. Barth Shuttle: New Transport Service The St. Barth Shuttle started running on Monday, January 30. Four small buses with eight seats each are running seven days a week, from 9:00am to 1:00am along two different routes. The first leaves Gustavia and heads toward the windward side of the isl...

[Feb 6, 2006] Music Festival

Music Festival The 22nd edition of the St. Barth Music Festival was held last month and the charm of the three-week event still lingers in the air. A total of 62 musicians and 8 dancers took part in a wide variety of programs. Frances DeBroff, violinist and co-founder of the festival, an...

[Feb 1, 2006] Reality check

Reality Check So here I am sitting in New York City surrounded by two feet of snow, but the city’s record-breaking snowfall is quickly melting as temperatures head into the 50s by the weekend. Being snowed-in all day gave me the chance to reflect about a few things, in terms of Saint Barth. ...

[Jan 20, 2006] FEMUR donates a Dynamap Pro 1000 to the Hospital de Bruyn

FEMUR donates a Dynamap Pro 1000 to the Hospital de Bruyn On Saturday, January 7, several members of the non-profit association FEMUR went to the local hospital to present its director, Pierre Nuty, and his medical staff with a Dynamap Pro 1000. The multi-parametric monitor, equipped for r...

[Jan 5, 2006] End of Year Festivities in St. Barth

End of Year Festivities in St. Barth For the last three weeks of the year, the island was busy with a hectic schedule of openings and special events. On December 10, Loulou Magras, an unusual island native who is an amateur photographer, presented an exhibition of photos and aquarelles fro...

[Jan 1, 2006] Savings plans

Savings Plans On an island that could easily be called INXS (like the rock band), it strikes me as slightly odd that all of a sudden there's a move toward certain environmentally sound ideas. After all, there are people here who use several truckloads of water from the desalinization plant eve...

Search the Site

Powerful advertising

Expand your advertising power with the #1 in St. Barths.

Learn more »

Official Sponsors