St. Barths Online

[Dec 16, 2000] GETTING HERE IS HALF THE FUN

GETTING HERE IS HALF THE FUN Luckily for those of us who live in St Barthelemy, this island has only one small flat piece of land that can possibly be used as an airstrip or runway. The first air service came to St. Barthelemy in the 1940s, when former mayor Remy DeHaenen discovered that he ...

[Nov 16, 2000] GETTING BACK TO NORMAL

GETTING BACK TO NORMAL I got back to St Barth on November 1 (after a few weeks break in the United States) and hit the ground running. I no sooner kicked off my high-top Nikes and slipped into flip-flops than I was off on a tour of the island's cemeteries. I realize that might sound a bit ghou...

[Oct 16, 2000] IT'S A CAT'S LIFE

IT'S A CAT'S LIFE Before I moved to St Barth I always thought that cats were like ovens: self-cleaning. Of course I had never had a cat (being partial to Springer Spaniels myself) and the few cats I had ever met where pretty much inside cats that had nothing more to clean than a few Manhattan...

[Sep 16, 2000] BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES I just survived my first hurricane. Okay, I'll admit it, it was a small hurricane, really. Nothing at all like the great gusty storms of recent years, like Luis and Lenny, but it sure gave me a taste of what a larger storm might bring! The day before little Debby ar...

[Jul 17, 2000] Beach renewal

Beach renewal Everyone has been asking us about the condition of the beaches following five years of annual hurricanes. They did take a beating. But, contributions were solicited, a dredge was hired, and the damaged beaches - St. Jean, Gouverneur, Corossol, Colombier and Shell Beach - have...

[Jul 16, 2000] ALL IN THE FAMILY

ALL IN THE FAMILY One of the most authentic neighborhoods in St Barth is Flamands. Party because it hasn't changed much in the last few decades, and it is still one of the most family-oriented spots on the island. And the fact that at least half of the families that live there are part of the ...

[Jun 16, 2000] SHIFTING SANDS

SHIFTING SANDS The sands of Saint Barthélemy are shifting, literally and figuratively. In the first sense there have been of late some giant sand moving machines seen in the water near some of the island's beaches. Suffering from a lack of sand since the duo of hurricanes that battered our s...

[May 16, 2000] AT THE RACES

AT THE RACES Hip Hip Hooray, it's Ladies Day at the races. In the wee early morning hours of Wednesday, May 17, the first boat in the Tranast ag2r, a grueling transatlantic sailing race that left Lorient, France on April 16, arrived in the harbor of Gustavia. Its hard to imagine being at s...

[Apr 17, 2000] Status

Status In a very short length of time - less than twenty years - St. Barths has been transformed from sleepy to bustling, from unknown to internationally popular, and from poor to rich. Among other consequences, this has caused two long-submerged issues to rise to the surface: St. Barths' fi...

[Apr 16, 2000] ST BARTHELEMY: THE MOVIE

ST BARTHELEMY: THE MOVIE The action begins at the break of dawn on a Friday morning in late March. As the sun rises behind the volcanic cones that dot the island, a few lone fishermen set out to sea and the delivery man from the bakery begins his daily rounds. As the first warm baguettes a...

[Mar 16, 2000] PACE OF LIFE

PACE OF LIFE The past two months have flown by so fast its hard to believe that this is the laid-back West Indies where time used to move so slowly you didn't even need to wear a watch. In the good old days, time seemed to lazily stretch before me, but lately things have been different. All I...

[Jan 16, 2000] MILLENIUM

MILLENIUM In spite of rumors which were flying around here faster than fur in a cat fight, the new year seems to have arrived in Saint Barth without too much fuss. If you could believe everything you heard, we'd have seen US aircraft carriers decked out as floating hospitals in the harbor rea...

Search the Site

Powerful advertising

Expand your advertising power with the #1 in St. Barths.

Learn more »

Official Sponsors